Today is the second day of the New Year 2015. It is also the first Friday of the month, a great opportunity to consider the start of the devotion to the Sacred Hear of Jesus as He revealed it Himself to Saint Margaret Mary Alacoque.
Our Lord Jesus appeared to Mary and revealed devotions to His Sacred Heart. She was blessed with many apparitions, especially between 1673 and 1675. In one of the apparitions, Jesus said to her:
“Look at this Heart which has loved people so much, and yet they do not want to Love Me in return. Through you, my divine Heart wishes to spread Its Love everywhere on earth.”
Jesus made at least 12 promises to her telling her how He would help those who honor His Sacred Heart:
- I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.
- I will give peace in their families and will unite families that are divided.
- I will console them in all their troubles.
- I will be their refuge during life and above all in death.
- I will bestow the blessings of Heaven on all their enterprises.
- Sinners shall find in my Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
- Tepid souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall rise quickly to great perfection.
- I will bless those places wherein the image of My Heart shall be exposed and honored and will imprint My love on the hearts of those who would wear this image on their person. I will also destroy in them all disordered movements.
- I will give to priests who are animated by a tender devotion to my Divine Heart the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Those who promote this devotion shall have their names written in my Heart, never to be effaced.
- I promise you in the excessive mercy of my Heart that my all-powerful love will grant to all those who communicate on the First Friday in nine consecutive months, the grace of final penitence: they will not die in my disgrace, nor without receiving their Sacraments. My Divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.
The Nine Fridays must be made in honor of His Sacred Heart, meaning, practicing the devotion and having a great love of His Sacred Heart. They must be on the first Friday of the month for nine consecutive months, and Communion must be received.
Lord, Our God
Grant us the grace to desire you with our whole heart,
that so desiring, we may seek and find you;
and so finding you, we may love you;
and loving you, we may hate those sins
from which you have redeemed us.
-St. Anselm of Canterbury